Friday, February 08, 2008

Ode to my Missing Sock

For a couple of weeks now I planned on writing a poem called "Ode to my Missing Sock".

I got as far as:

Oh, lonely, missing sock, how I long for thee.

Then I got stuck.

Maybe I could look up a poem and follow the basic rhythms with "sock" language. The only ode that came to mind was "Ode on a Grecian Urn" that I'm sure I studied somewhere in junior high.
I looked it up. (and you can too, right here.)

Huh? When did I ever read that? And if I did, did I understand it? And did I pass the test on it? (Considering that I never failed English, I must've done okay. Or I had enough good grades to pull up that one.)

So then I looked up Ode, which lead me to Shelley, which lead me to Ode to the West Wind.

Giving up on that, I even tried Ode to Billie Joe which didn't provide the lyrics.

While googling Ode, I found that ODE also stands for Ordinary Differential Equation and thought "Great! Something else that I've totally forgotten about!"

In the meantime, I've been carrying on, wearing my other socks, but missing my lost one.

Yesterday, while doing the laundry, I decided to look down between the washer and dryer.



And there it was!



Hiding amongst the dust bunnies and stray papers (I wonder if that paper is important. Maybe I should look.)




It's now washed and has joined its mate.

Oh, lonely sock, how I've missed thee!
My cold foot welcomes thee with open toes
and my sock drawer has made a place for thee.

1 comment:

Marguerite said...

Looks like a Horcrux sock? Those horcruxes are tricky to find.