Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Diamond handwarmers pattern

Here's my pattern for Diamond Handwarmers. I adapted the diamond from Nicky Epstein's book Knitting on the Edge. For lack of one good picture, I've included three not-quite-as-good ones. Notice that in the picture of the handwarmers by themselves it looks like the diamonds are off center. However, they look centered when on the hand. (I tried knitting these one stitch over, and they don't look centered when worn.)

Note: I'm left-handed, and while every effort has been made to write this for a right-hander, there might be an error. If you notice anything, please let me know!

This pattern makes a ladies size large. (I have large hands/long fingers, so on most people the top will come up higher.)

I rewrote this pattern and put it in a pdf file on Ravelry. It has a smaller size and is written a little more carefully. (For example, I didn't mix up rounds and rows like I did here and just fixed.) Check it out here on Ravelry.







Materials:
125 yds. worsted weight yarn (exactly. Have a bit extra unless you like to live dangerously.)
US #4 dpns, or size to get gauge (I use 4 dpns)

Gauge: 5.5 sts per inch, 8 rows per inch

K: Knit
P: Purl
M1L: From the front, lift loop between stitches with left needle, knit into back of loop
M1R: From the back, lift loop between stitches with left needle, knit into front of loop.
SKP: Slip 1, Knit 1, Pass slipped stitch over.
yo: Yarn over needle, wrapping from bottom over.
pm: Place marker.


Left Hand:
Cast on 40 sts. Join in a round, being careful not to twist.
K2, P2 ribbing for 30 rounds.
K for 6 rounds.

Row 1: K1, M1L, K1, M1R, K to end.
Row 2: K4, K10, yo, SKP, K to end.
Row 3: K to end.
Row 4: K4, K9, [yo, SKP] twice, K to end.
Row 5: K1, M1L, K3, M1R, K to end.
Row 6: K6, K8, [yo, SKP] 3 times, K to end.
Row 7: K1, M1L, K5, M1R, K to end.
Row 8: K8, K7, [yo, SKP] 4 times, K to end.
Row 9: K1, M1L, K7, M1R, K to end.
Row 10: K10, K6, [yo, SKP] 5 times, K to end.
Row 11: K1, M1L, K9, M1R, K to end.
Row 12: K12, K5, [yo, SKP] 6 times, K to end.
Row 13: K1, M1L, K11, M1R, K to end.
Row 14: K14, K6, [yo, SKP] 6 times, K to end.

Finish thumb:
Row 15: K1 and leave on needle, BO 13 sts in purl, K to end.
Row 16: K1, cast on 2 sts as for buttonhole, K7, [yo, SKP] 5 times, K to end.

Row 17: K to end.
Row 18: K3, K8, [yo, SKP] 4 times, K to end.
Row 19: Knit.
Row 20: K3, K9, [yo, SKP] 3 times, K to end.
Row 21: Knit.
Row 22: K3, K10, [yo, SKP] 2 times, K to end.
Row 23: Knit.
Row 24: K3, K11, yo, SKP, K to end.

K 2 rounds even.
K2 tog, K to end.
K2, P2 ribbing for 4 rounds.
Bind off in purl.


Right Hand:
Cast on 40 sts.
K2, P2 ribbing for 30 rounds.
K for 6 rounds.

Row 1: K24, pm, M1L, K1, M1R, K to end.
Row 2: K12, K2 tog, yo, K9, K4, K to end.
Row 3: Knit.
Row 4: K11, [K2tog, yo] twice, K to end.
Row 5: K to marker, M1L, K3, M1R, K to end.
Row 6: K10 [K2 tog, yo] 3 times, K to end.
Row 7: K to marker, M1L, K5, M1R, K to end.
Row 8: K9, [K2 tog, yo] 4 times, K to end.
Row 9: K to marker, M1L, K7, M1R, K to end.
Row 10: K8, [K2 tog, yo] 5 times, K to end.
Row 11: K to marker, M1L, K9, M1R, K to end.
Row 12: K7, [K2 tog, yo] 6 times, K to end.
Row 13: K to marker, M1L, K11, M1R, K to end.
Row 14: K6, [K2 tog, yo] 6 times, K to end.

Finish thumb:
Row 15: K to marker, remove marker, BO 13 in purl, K to end.
Row 16: K7, [K2 tog, yo], 5 times, K to last st before buttonhole, cast on 2 sts, K to end.

Row 17: Knit.
Row 18: K8, [K2 tog, yo] 4 times, K to end.
Row 19: Knit.
Row 20: K9, [K2 tog, yo] 3 times, K to end.
Row 21: K to end.
Row 22: K10, [K2 tog, yo], 2 times, K to end.
Row 23: Knit.
Row 24: K11, K2 tog, yo, K to end.

K 2 rounds even.
K 1 row, decreasing 1 st at thumb area.
K2, P2 ribbing for 4 rounds.
Bind off in purl.


Copyright 2006 Ruth Garcia. All rights reserved. This pattern may be used for personal use and charitable purposes only.

12 comments:

Holly said...

Thanks so much for making this pattern available-it's so pretty! I will be casting on later today!

RheLynn said...

This looks like a beautiful pattern (that I could knit!). I'll have to bookmark it and take a look later after I finish my WIP ;o)

Birdsong said...

I saw Marguerite's finished handwarmers and had to come print off the pattern and thank you for so generously making it available. Very pretty.

Anonymous said...

These are lovely, I'll be trying out the pattern for CIC this month. Thanks for sharing!!

Unknown said...

A google search for a handwarmers pattern came up with yours, and I decided to knit it up for the mother of my boyfriend (Mother's Day is coming up and all). Anyway, I thought I'd show you a picture of them, since I slightly modified your pattern and instead of using the diamond, I used a sheep motif and duplicate stitched it on. Here is a link to the picture. I thought they were cute and should show you how they turned out! :-)

jade said...

hello! these are so cute. maybe i'm missing something but in your directions, i never see any place that you're supposed to purl. how do you get that classic chevron stitch without ever purling.

thank you!
jade

taka said...

im trying this diamond hand warmers and i think they are really good but can i please ask how many double pointed needles do u use??


Thanks

taka said...

how many double pointed needles do you use?????





thanks very much

Ruth said...

I use 4 dpns for this pattern. It works well for me, so hopefully it will for you, too.

Ingalill said...

Lovely! I saved the pattern for the future. I have never ever knitted handwarmers!

Unknown said...

Your link to the smaller pattern in pdf is broken. Can you fix it? Thanks!

Ruth said...

The link is fixed. It links to a pdf on Ravelry. Thanks for letting me know!