My brown tubes garnered a couple more good guesses, a couple of "I have no idea"s and at least one "tellmetellmetellme".
Here's one done and in place:
See them now?
They're chair socks!
They're protecting my wood floor since I didn't put down a rug. (The "tellmetellmetellme" person actually guessed this, but didn't think it was right. Too obvious? Too weird?)
The fish clue? It was a red herring. (hahaha. I crack myself up.) They just went in to that shape as I put them down and I only had to move about 3 of them to get it really fish-like.
I made 16 tan ones and 16 dark brown ones (see them waaaaay in the back.) They're tight enough to stay up without being tied on (I hope), and were much faster than knitting to make. (The kids think I should do the couch legs next.)
Speaking of knitting, here's my newest project: The Big Basin socks from 6soxKAL. The yarn is Shaefer Anne in some kind of pink colorway. I bought it last fall sometime at my LYS and it's just been waiting around for the right project.
The gusset increases are actually at the top of the instep and little baby cable ribs. They just make me smile.
I'm thinking I did a couple rows too much (meaning: I thought I should've, but asked for advice, and now it looks like I shouldn't have.) That's okay, though, it won't take long and I'll be back on track.