Sunday, September 26, 2010

United

Last night we went to a DC United game, the professional soccer team that plays out of Washington DC at RFK Stadium. DS#2 had the opportunity to play on the field in a short scrimmage with his team.

Here he is playing, the tall one in the middle (right to the right of the lady scratching her head):



It was only for about 10 minutes, but it was a great experience just to be able to kick the ball on a professional soccer field. (I'm sure it was just a way to get fans out to the game, and it worked. Four of us came from our household. There were four games going on at a time, which makes 8 teams, and they did at least 2 sets, which was 16 teams, plus lots of parents and family.) Then, we stayed and watched the game.

This is my knitting project at the start of the evening. (One of my kids actually asked me, "Did you really bring knitting to a soccer game?" What's wrong with him, doesn't he know me by now, anyway? When do I go to a sporting event and NOT take my knitting?)



(Sorry, if I had taken the time to put my reading glasses on and look at the picture I would've noticed how blurry it was. Well, hopefully I would notice, anyway.)

We sat right behind the players bench.




The stadium filled up more by game time, and across the field was a drum corp that played the drums the whole entire time. It was fun to hear them in the background (but we were happy we weren't sitting on that side.) There were also giant flags that people waved every time there was a good play.



At the end of the evening, the United lost 3-1, and I had a longer sock (with an equally blurry picture.)

1 comment:

Christine said...

Oh girl!!! my son plays for Oberlin College and I was sitting at his game the other (cold!) night and knitting a sock!!!!!!!!!! when one of the students I know said "you're knitting a sock?" yaahhh....easy peasy to watch and knit.

It was warming to see that another momma does the same (yeah, I know... probably a lot of them knit while watching).

Knit on team!!!