Monday, January 23, 2006

Speed knitting?

I totally don't do it. Speed knitting, that is. Been questioned about it, however. In the interest of science (and the avoidance of bathroom cleaning), I decided to find out how fast I actually knit.

First, a couple of disclaimers. I have no idea how this is actually done, so I made up my own rules. I actually turned the TV off, the dog was asleep, and the kids at school, so there were no distractions.

I fortified myself with a cup of hot chocolate, then off I went.

Since this is still orange month, I used a leftover yarn on sz 8 16" needles--what felt comfortable to me. I would've preferred my bamboo 6's, but they're grabbing at the joins. You can see the rejected needles at the top:


Pulled out the yarn into a pile so there would no fooling with it later, then I knit a few rows to get comfortable. Marked the beginning,



set the timer for 1 minute and here's the results:
#1: 35 sts (I was nervous)
#2: 36 sts (warming up)
#3: 39 sts (that's the way!)
#4: 36 sts (out of the groove already)
(The fact that I did this 4 times shows my competitive side. Wait--I can be faster. Next time will be faster! Just one more time and then I'll stop. Don't make me clean the bathrooms yet!)

Then just for grins, I tested without looking (actually with my eyes closed since I couldn't keep from peeking). Lo and behold, I got 36 sts! While this is a skill that I'm still practicing, I had no idea that I could do it that fast!



How fast can you knit?

No comments: