Monday, March 07, 2005

Color

One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn't belong,
Can you guess which thing is not like the others,
Now it's time to play our game,
It's time to play our game.
(Do they still sing that on Sesame Street?)



If you guessed the purple ball in the middle, you guessed right. Or, as I like to call it, the light blue ball.

I plan to make the Celtic Braid scarf from "Knitting on the Edge" by Nicky Epstein. In light blue. Hence, my light blue yarn. Only, it's purple. I don't even have the excuse that I bought it online, and my monitor colors were off. Because....I bought it in person.

Yep, I'm now worried about my color recognition, because I seriously thought I was coming home with blue yarn. Maybe not the baby blue that I was picturing, and I definitely thought it had a purple edge, but hey, it's still blue....... right??? Wrong. It's totally purple.

This is the second time in recent history I've done this. Last time I was shopping with a good friend--looking for brown pants. Found some perfect ones, but they seemed to be all matched with maroon tops. It wasn't until my friend said, "umm, Ruth, you know those pants really are maroon, right?" that I realized what I was looking at. Definitely maroon.

So that leaves me to ask this question, does my brain keep a color in mind, and color whatever I see? Do I have a pre-conceived color predjudice?

No comments: