Thursday, June 24, 2010

A plethora of finished objects

Plethora. That's what I have at my house, a plethora of FOs.

pleth·o·ra   /ˈplɛθərə/ [pleth-er-uh]–noun
1.overabundance; excess: a plethora of advice and a paucity of assistance.

It's one of my favorite words. I'm probably using it wrong, since it's definitely not an overabundance, just... a lot. But it sounds much better than "a lot" so I'm using it.

In related dictionary searches, here's paucity:

pau·ci·ty   /ˈpɔsɪti/ [paw-si-tee]–noun
1.smallness of quantity; scarcity; scantiness: a country with a paucity of resources.
2.smallness or insufficiency of number; fewness.

I'll have to remember that word, since usually I have a paucity of FOs.


Anyway, see what I mean?




First finished was this pair of plain vanilla socks that aren't really very plain, are they?



Size 1 dpns, 68 sts. This is Patons Kroy rose jaquard, 2 skeins. And I AGAIN ran out of yarn for the toes. Fortunately I had some striped Marathon yarn left over and it matches very well, don't you think?



You might notice that these pictures were taken outside. Today. In 98 degree heat. Because what else does one do in 98 degree heat than model wool socks (and mittens) outdoors. Right?

"Yes, DD#2, I will take you to the pool just as soon as you try on some wool socks. Don't forget the sunscreen!"

These socks are mine, and still I managed to do the picture taking and not the trying on.



The snowdrop socks are finished and I absolutely love them. (Even though I haven't tried both on yet. So they might be too tight. But I tried on the first one so it should be okay. Plus, there's no way I'm redoing them so I'll just have to hope for the best. And wait for a cooler day to try them on.)



The pattern is from 6SoxKAL yahoo group (so you have to join the group if you want the pattern. But it's totally worth it.) It's toe up which is not my favorite, but it's good for a change.




And then, DD#1 came home and liked my swiffer covers. (Not like my other children who were all haters. But then DD#1 always was my favorite.)(Just kidding.)(Or not, she also cleans up my counters.)

I started making her one then ran out of time, so she took my blue green one and I'm mailing this one to her.




(No, I couldn't manage to take this on a more neutral background. You'll just have to get your sunglasses if you want a closer look.) I've used the blue/green one and it worked good. The larger one hasn't been used yet, but I don't think it will scratch my floor as the swiffer itself isn't scratchy.

Then, because wool socks weren't enough, I also finished some wool mittens.



These are the spruce tree mittens from the other day. They're made with Patons Classic wool in sesame and a strand of Trekking XXL sock yarn on size 7 dpns. The pattern was followed as written. They fit me well. (Again, you can't tell because I'm not trying mittens on in 98 degree heat. That's DD#2's job.) I have large hands, so if you're making them, you might want them a tad shorter.



Nice mittens and a nice pattern. I might have to make a green pair.

My goal for the rest of the month?

To have a plethora of FOs and a paucity of UFOs.

3 comments:

Denise said...

It must be the time of the year for finishing up all those UFO's cause I have been trying to finish up a lot also. All of your FO's look wonderful. And DD#2 deserves a big hug and an ice cream cone for all that hard work...lol..

MamaMidwife said...

Ruth - I love them all! I especially love how the color of the two yarns played out in the mittens. Absolutely beautiful!

I am going to have to get that sock pattern. I am actually a member of that yahoo group b/c I had to get the "Horcrux Sock" pattern a while back. :)

Lynn said...

Maryland and Florida have a lot in common, we've been in the high 90s as well. However add in the heat index and it's just horrible.

Great socks and mittens and swiffers!