Thursday, August 17, 2006

Coasters

While I wasn't blogging, I managed to go on a mini vacation. Took in a family reunion, some shopping, spending time with my dad and brother, and spent a day at an amusement park.

Not just any amusement park, but the "Roller Coaster Capital of the World." Cedar Point was my favorite amusement park as a child, and has become my family's favorite in recent years. This year, only our two youngest could go while the oldest two were busy with jobs and baseball(what else?). I felt bad that the whole family wasn't there, but I wasn't above calling DD#1: "Hey, guess where we are right NOW? That's right, in line for the Dragster!"

In all the previous years, I've had a child too young or short (or scared) to go on the roller coasters, so I stayed on the ground with the younger one(s) while DH took the brave ones riding high. This year, though, the youngest finally was ready.

I said, "Okay, if the rest of you are riding the coasters, then I will too."

Big mistake.

I was already sorta sure that I didn't like coasters, and I came home with a 100% positive feeling that I DIDN'T like them. Not the wooden ones. Not the smooth ones. Not the hanging ones. Not the catapult one. Not the twisting ones.

I'm too old. I get too woosy. Too scared. (Did I mention too old?)

The rest of the family got off exclaiming, "Wow, that was GREAT!!!!" while I exclaimed "Wow, I survived!"

By the time we were done with the Dragster, I had ridden all the big ones, and was content to sit on a bench waiting for the rest. (If it wasn't so hot and I wasn't so sticky, I would've wished for my knitting. As it was, I sat still and sweated while waiting.)


So the next time I decide to ride Millennium Force
"Termed a "giga-coaster" for its extreme height, this colossal coaster looms an incredible 310 feet above the ground and reaches a top speed of 93 mph!"


Or the Mean Streak
"Built in 1991, this wooden forest of hills and thrills features a stunning 161-foot-tall first hill, a blazing top speed of 65 mph and more than 5,400 feet of hair-raising excitement.
Made from 1.7 million board feet of treated Southern yellow pine, Mean Streak is still one of the tallest and fastest wooden roller coasters in the universe."



Or Top Thrill Dragster
"Riders begin their epic journey aboard this whopping 42-story screamer by securing themselves into ultra-cool trains that resemble top fuel dragsters. The train then moves into a "starting line" position, where it is launched forward, reaching 120 mph in approximately four seconds. The train then zooms straight up the 420-foot-tall hill on track that rotates 90 degrees, crests the coaster's apex and then free falls back to Earth. As the train races 400 feet to the ground, the track twists an unbelievable 270 degrees – what a rush!"


Someone please remind me that this:

is more my speed.

2 comments:

valéria said...

Hello Ruth,

read your last blogs and liking it ;)
I'll remember you to not go in a roller coaster again...
When i look at the photo's i already get dizzy...not my kind off fun i think.
I'm scarred of hights and when i look at that....oh no....

regards,
valeria.

Nancy said...

Ah, Last time I went on a roller coaster (a very long time ago) I lost everything in my pockets, money, etc. I couldn't get it back.. they wouldn't listen to me when I tried to tell them. I guess they had a good dinner that night on me. ;-) I will never ride them again. I have also developed a fear of heights.