Friday, June 24, 2005

Scarf

I wish I could say that my lack of blogging is just because I've been too busy knitting. But it's not the case. However, I've been working on a couple of things.

Here are CIC slippers. They're fast to do, and use up odd bits of yarn.


Here are my 6 Sox KAL Chutes and Ladders Socks for CIC. They're done with 30 sts on sz 6US needles, with sz 4 for the cuffs. I'm still debating how to dye them.

I've had exciting new accomplishment with these socks--I learned how to cable without a cable needle. It's not nearly as hard as it sounds, and I haven't had any missing/dropped stitches yet. I followed these instructions. They worked fine for me as a leftie, as long as I ignored what way the cables were supposed to be twisted. I mean, I followed the instructions for a right twist cable whenever it said, and ignored the fact that it actually twists left for me. But since the whole thing is backwards anyway, it works.

After practicing awhile on the socks, I was finally ready to start my Saxon Braid Scarf. (This is with my blue, no wait--it's PURPLE! yarn). The first few rows were torture. How many types of 2/2 RPC, 2/1LPC, 4LC are there? I had to look up each stitch, one at a time, before attempting it.

To my surprise, however, it becomes like a rhythm, and I can almost feel what's coming next. (I'll never be without the pattern, though, but it's nice to anticipate what's next on the list.) I also can "almost" do the cables without checking.

I learned two more things while doing this scarf.

1. There's errata for this scarf on the web. I found it on the knittersreview forums, but it may be other places. I would never have thought about errata if it weren't for the knitlist. There are things that I think I ignore, but get lodged in my brain anyway, and for that I'm grateful.

2. I have lifelines--the red pieces of crochet cotton periodically threaded thru the stitches. That way, if I need to rip out, I'll have a place to go back to. Another thank you to the knitlist.

No comments: