Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Taking the risk

I've been a blogging slacker lately. I mean to post, really I do. But something prevents me from taking the actual picture then actually posting it. (I know, it's called laziness.)

I've been doing a bit of knitting, but first a picture of my lilacs. This was taken one week ago (or maybe two), and represents my favorite yard flower.


I'm actually attempting a sweater for ME! It's a summer tank, so no sleeves, but still it's an accomplishment. This is being knit out of yarn that was a different sweater in the mid-80's. It's a cotton blue/green mix with some white slubs that I think was made by Phildar. I remember buying it in a shop that has long ago ceased to exist. It fit, and I wore it for years, but the short waist, big boxy top was best left in the 80's.

Last summer, I ripped the sweater apart, ready to make Brisa from Knitty.com.

I eliminated some of the lace ladders to allow for more coverage, then proceeded to knit it up. Finished it, tried it on, and yep! too small. Put it away for a whole year, then pulled it out last week. Measured the gauge (only a year too late) and instead of 18 st. per 4" I was getting 21! It took me a WHOLE YEAR to realize that I had never checked gauge. (Where's the picture, you ask? Laziness is the answer.)

Last Thursday I ripped it out, did a gauge swatch, and started again. This time I left out ALL the lace ladders, and am just doing the ribbing. (No need to draw extra attention to my waist, anyway. :)

Here's where I was a couple of days ago.


I don't know if you can tell from the picture, but I have another boo-boo going on. My yarn is nice and kinky and should really be wound into hanks, washed, and hung to dry. Can I make myself do it? No. Am I going to regret it? Most likely. The extra kinkiness might certainly throw off my sizing when I wash it, but I just seem to need to take the risk.

No comments: