Sunday, May 29, 2005


Finally getting around to working with my silk noil yarn that I got at MDSW. It took a long time to get up the courage to dye it, but finally I took the plunge. Bought a couple new shades of blue Wilton's, did a test piece, set my silk to soak in vinegar water, and loaded up the crockpot with blue dye.

So far, so good, right? Nice and methodical and planned out....

Looked down at my shirt, which was green, dumped out the dye without a second thought, and proceeded to dye the yarn a yellow-green (chartreuse, to be exact.)

Anyone who knows me can attest to how unusual this was. Not the changing-my-mind part, that's pretty usual, it was the wasting-the-whole-pot-of-dye part that's so strange. I didn't even go get some other yarn to dye THAT blue, so as not to waste it (although, since I just thought about it, that would've been a good idea....)

Dyeing and drying silk noil yarn gives off a very distinct odor (with the added aroma of white vinegar) which I don't want to experience again any time soon. Add to that the fact that I dunked my MDSW basket in water to shape it while drying which gave off ANOTHER awful odor, and I almost wished I had a cold.

This yarn took forever to dry, but finally I was ready to wind it into balls. Here's my lampshade all ready to go.

The lampshade worked as a swift, and did a great job. I spun it around while DD#2 operated the ball winder.

Here's what I have done. Well, I've gotten this far about 3 times now, but I think this time's a keeper.

I swatched on bamboo 8's, but couldn't stand the squeakiness, so switched to metal 9's. Much better, but the gauge is off. Now I'm making the smallest size, and the measurements seem to be good for the largest size, so I hope that's good. At least I measured BEFORE I finished, so that's an improvement.

No comments: