Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Practical Jokers

Stupid computer. I've written this post twice now, but can't get it saved. Arggh!
So, I'll try again tomorrow, but in the meantime, fill in the words:
blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Here now, are the words to go with the pics, and hopefully they are more interesting than blah, blah, blah.

I had lots of time for sitting around and knitting this weekend, so here's what I worked on. These are cute little
basketweave baby socks knit from Paton's Classic denim marl. The basketweave would show up better using a solid color, but they still worked up nicely, due to a very nice pattern.

I did these using dpns, even though the pattern is for 2 circs.

I decided for my next pair I would try using 2 circs, and also knitting both socks at the same time. Here's as far as I got.

Now, what I want to know is, Is this just one big practical joke that everyone's in on except me? How can this be easier than 2 circs? How???

Now given, I didn't read the directions for this method before diving in, but still, what's with all these curvy pointy things flying around, anyway? Even if I got the tangled yarn mess straightened out, I still would have 2 circs that would never go away.

Not giving up (or rather, giving up quickly but not totally) I decided to try one sock on 2 circs, and here again is how far I got.

Again--why? Why is this easier than dpns? I got the tangled mess straightened out, but those curvy pointy things are still flying around. I mean, I hate when I'm changing needle sizes, say for going from ribbing to stockinette, and have 2 sets of circs for one row. I try to knit the row as fast as possible to get it over with. Why would I want to continue the torture for the whole sock?

So, I transferred the sock to dpns. See how much neater it looks? Just a cute triangle plus an extra one.

This was the way I knit the denim ones, and is the way I will continue with the purple ones. (We won't discuss how many times I dropped one on Friday, or how many people looked up as it clattered to the floor. If I ignore them, then it didn't really happen.)

If it works for me, it works!

1 comment:

Marguerite said...

So funny!

Personally, I find the 2 circ method has little advantage over the double points, but I use the circs all the time because it's safer for my little dogs when they jump in my lap while I'm knitting.

So, my needle preference has more to do with dog safety than knitting speed.

And, I have to confess, I always switch to dps when doing gusset pickup and decreases. Doggy beware!

Noone will ever convince me that 2 socks on 2 circulars with resultant tangled yarn is a viable way to knit. 1 sock on 2 circulars is as complicated as I can handle.

Glad you like the little sock pattern.