Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Darn

A couple of years ago I put a hole in a sock.  This is the first time I'd done that with a sock knitted with sock yarn.  (I think I have a couple of ww socks with holes.  Hmmm....I'll have to see if I can find them....)  Anyway, once I found the hole, I put it on my bedside table.  And there it sat for 2 years, doing nothing but collecting dust.

Finally, I decided to try my hand at darning.  What harm could it do? and I might learn something new.

First, I found a ball (no darning eggs here) and some yarn (that, of course, doesn't match).


This hole looks bigger from this point of view.


 
Then (following directions found on the 'net), I sewed around the hole with a running stitch.  Next I sewed vertical long sts to cover the hole.


 
Finally, I wove the yarn vertically through the long sts and ta-da!  One sock, ready to wear again!


No comments: