Saturday, February 18, 2012

Dull

I've been plugging along, working on the Kaz grad items for Mereke.  This year I'm making all the knitted items for one grad rather than doing random items for different grads.  His colors are white, black, and bright blue.  I made his hoodie last spring, so now I'm doing all the other things.

You saw his hat a couple of days ago, right before it got frogged and started over.  I think it's done this time, but am waiting until I block it to know for sure.

Here's his scarf, being made out of Patons Classic wool.  The pattern is Diagonal Mistake Rib Scarf, which is going very nicely, although I can't seem to memorize the pattern.  The edge stitches, I mean.  The middle is all K2, P2, which I can do...  :)


However, it's kinda boring, being mostly k2, p2 the whole way, plus it's in black.  Uggh.  Lovely to wear, horrible to knit.

It's also not a knit that I can take to the Bball games and such, so I cast on for Mereke's socks.  These are plain vanilla with 72 sts on size 1s using Lang Jawoll Aktion sock yarn.  The yarn fits into the color scheme pretty well (and was picked out by my DS as being something he would wear.  Manly and all.)  However, it's also boring.  And... I'm not sure there will be enough yarn.  Mereke has 11.5" feet so these have to be really long and I did a really long cuff as well.  They're in a mini-timeout while I hunt for contrasting yarn for the toes, just in case.


I needed something different to work on, so I started this hat.  It's not any more colorful, but at least it has interesting texture, being skeins of wool that I spun from a mystery bag of roving.   This has no purpose, other than to give me something interesting to make.  When done, I'll save it for when I need it, as a gift or something...


However, it's not very colorful.

So...

Yesterday I cast on for this:


Yep, this is colorful enough.

I had 1/2 hour at a car service center and 2 basketball games to sit through yesterday so I got a lot accomplished.   At the service center, I had a nice talk with a couple of ladies, one of whom does lots of knitting and crocheting and had a daughter who spins.  I'm not sure if I've ever randomly run into another knitter before.  She was eyeing my yarn quite enviously, too, as she had forgotten hers and was stuck there an hour longer than she thought.

At the end of yesterday, I had the bright beginning of sock and a new key for my car (I had only one before, which would periodically set off waves of anxiety that I would lose it.  Or that DD#2, aka the new driver, would lose it.  But mostly me...)  Also, both basketball games were won.  (DS#2's season is done, but DD#2 still has playoffs.) 

Today, I don't have anywhere to go.  (Imagine that!)  Plenty of time for knitting, both dull and COLORFUL!

4 comments:

Lynn said...

LOVE the sock yarns. What colors are they??

Ruth said...

The dull yarn is Lang Jawoll color Aktion col # 132.0271

the bright pink/orange/red skein has a blank band with Art Sox Col #1458 stamped on it.

Descriptive, huh?

I bought both on ebay for a pretty good deal. At least one was from this seller:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/akyrn/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

Ruth said...

the bright skein might have been Peerless. (I just looked at her yarn and now I want more!)

valéria said...

Hey Ruth how are you?? I tagged you in the ravelry group to diana who's going to maryland wool and sheep festival?? I hope you're going there and say hi to her for me? :) She's called knitabulls/diana and has a videopodcast and she's amazing and a kind and energetic person :) Thought you might like it ;)

xxhugs
Valeria :)