Monday, March 08, 2010

Blue

I guess it's been awhile, hasn't it? And, from looking at my pictures, the color blue must be on my mind.

Right after finishing the hoodie, I decided that I needed something to knit besides stockinette, so I started these Snowdrop Socks from 6SoxKAL. I haven't done one of their patterns for awhile, but these looked fun.


And they are fun!

They're knitted toe-up and I'm just past the heel on the first sock. Actually, I've reached there twice. The first time, they were too short. That's the thing that I find about toe-up--even though I follow the pattern it still feels too short. I did the foot until it was two inches shorter than necessary, and I like mine 10 inches long, so I did them to 8 inches. Then I did the heel and tried them on and they were too short. I do this all the time so should automatically add 1/2 an inch or so, but I don't.

That's why I prefer knitting socks from the top down. If they're too short when I'm done I just have to rip out the toe and not the heel which is much easier.

Anyway, it's a very pretty pattern and I'm using Arucania sock yarn which feels very tough (in a good way) and not at all splitty.

Then, since I needed some plain knitting, I started these socks. They're moving along fast since I've been doing the knitting-while-reading thing.




And then, as you all know, I had some new blue yarn hanging around and begging to be made into a sweater. So I picked a pattern and began.




This is the Myrtille Cardigan and can be found here on Ravelry. It had all the elements I was looking for: a cardigan that has cropped sleeves with not too much pattern, but a little bit for interest. I was looking for a top down version with raglan sleeves, but I hope that sewing in the sleeves won't do me in. I used to do that all the time, and while it's been awhile, I should be able to remember how.

This is the hem. I'm doing the front and back pieces in one piece and am hemming it with knitting it together rather than sewing at the end.


No comments: