Thursday, November 16, 2006

Knit Unto Others


I decided to participate in the "Knit Unto Others" KAL that's being hosted here.

Here's a quote from their site:

"At a time when we enjoying large Thanksgiving dinners with family and friends, shop until we drop for the coming Christmas season, it will be good to step back and think of others who may not have enough to keep them warm. The basics of life are very hard for some people, right here in this country to come by. A warm hat, scarf or mittens can do more than warm fingers and ears, it can lift someone up and show that someone cares. Do what you can from November 18-December 2 and join our Knit Unto Others campaign."

I figure that since I knit for CIC throughout the year, that this time I'll pick something different.

Here's my two thoughts (and if I get past them, then Good For Me! But I won't hold my breath.)
First, a couple of women in my church have started a prayer shawl ministry. That's basically knitting a shawl that will be given to someone in need, praying as you're knitting for the comfort and well-being of the recipient. Here's some more information on the prayer shawl ministry. It's a good challenge for me--I have to concentrate--not so much on the pattern, but on the prayer. Here's what I have done so far:


It's Lion Brand Homespun, 54 sts, K3, P3 ribbing. I'm not a big fan of Homespun, (and didn't want to be complaining the whole time instead of praying), but so far so good. The yarn knits up with a nice stripe, which is an added bonus.

The other thing will be a machine knit afghan. Pictures to be coming later (after I drag it out of the closet.) I'm planning on giving this to Warm Up America.

No comments: