Or rather, The YO experiment, since this is all about Yarn Over's.
Challenged by Patti (or maybe distracted), I did different sets of yo's to see which looked the best, and here's my results. (Of course, this would be more worthwhile if my pics were better...)
The first set of eyelets were done on stockinette st. The bottom was done on the knit side, and the top was done on the purl side.
In knitter's shorthand, it becomes:
knit side: K1, *yo, K2tog, K2, repeat from *.
purl side: P1, *yo, P2tog, P2, repeat from *.
Here's how it looks from the wrong side:
I like the bottom row better, done on the knit side (which is good, since it's easier). The stitches around the eyelet look much neater.
Next, I did K1, P1 ribbing, with the bottom eyelet row done on the right side, and the top row done on the wrong side.
Bottom row: K1, *yo, K2tog, P1, K1, repeat from *.
Top row: P1, *yo, P2tog, K1, P1, repeat from *.
Pic from the wrong side:
I stretched this out a bit too much to see properly, but again, doing the eyelet row on the right side looks much better.
The last set was done using K2, P2 ribbing.
Bottom row: * K2, yo, P2tog, repeat from *.
Middle row: K2, *P2, yo, k2tog, repeat from *. (done on wrong side.)
Top row: *k2, yo, sl st p, k1, psso* . (this is from the Wooly Wonder forum here ).
View from the wrong side:
None of the methods that I did from the wrong side looked as good as the right side, so that's something to keep in mind for the future.
That's my experiment for the day...(and had the unexpected results of finding my missing needles that were in my "experiment" yarn. :)