Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The problem with the pentagons

The last time you saw my pentagon pullover, it was April 11th and I had just perfectly cast on 100 stitches.

Since then, a back and a front were knitted.

I discovered that my knit and my purl gauges were different. I've heard that other people have that problem, but this is the first time I've seen evidence of it for myself. I'm going to ignore that issue, though, and hope that it will look more even after a good blocking.

The pattern, Swirled Pentagon Pullover by Norah Gaughan, gave two options for the bodice. The pentagon yoke could be knit separately and sewed on, or it could be knitted on as you go. I picked the later.

Once I finished the first one, I started the second.

I don't know why. Obviously that point on the first one had to go, and since it's cotton, I figured that blocking wouldn't do the job.

At this point I put in in timeout as I pondered what to do.

I checked out Ravelry for awhile and looked at other pentagon sweaters. Finally I found one that gave good advice. She pointed back to Grumperina who had made the same sweater and had the same problem. It turns out that there are measurements in the pattern for the size of the pentagons and mine are way too big!

I thought it was odd that the body was knitted on 8s, while the pentagons are on 9s, but I just forged ahead, thinking the pattern knew what it was talking about. It must be wrong, at least it's wrong for me. My pentagons are almost an inch bigger than they should be.

Before I redo the yoke, I think I'm going to sew the back and front together to make sure it fits before I proceed.

Until then, it remains in timeout.

No comments: