Saturday, September 03, 2005

And it all came to a screeching halt.

I've been working hard on the wool_soaker_group's soaker challenge this week. My goal was to make a felted soaker wrap and pattern by Sun. night at 11:59 EST.

First, I made the knit version, which I previously posted. Made the rise higher which also increased the back width--a good thing.

Next I made swatches, measured them and took pictures.



Felted, measured, and took more pics.


Tried different leg openings,


And felted them (which lost all the curling sides--a predictible result, but disappointing none-the-less.)t


Figured out percentage of shrinkage and used that with ratios to figure out the rows and inches.


Knitted a to-be-felted version.
Look! She ran out of yarn again! Er...I mean.... Look! What pretty stripes!

Those aren't just any stripes; they're Fibonacci stripes.
Remember the math sequence from pre-algebra: 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21.... ?

Well, the theory is that you can use those numbers for the number of rows for each stripe. No matter in what order you do them, it should still be pleasing to the eye. Here's a more detailed explanation.


Inside view:


Folded view:


Comparison view:

Looks rather huge next to the ready-to-wear knit version, doesn't it?

I figured....that's okay......I did all the computations, and ratios, and percentages, and feel confident that it's right.

And it all came to a screeching halt.

1 comment:

StarKnits said...

why did it stop? please explain!! it's looking good so far!